Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

November 28th 2014 - 3 Years Post Op!


I'm posting today because even though tomorrow(November 28th 2014), is my actually 3 years post op day, I'll be busy with school and work, so this is my only chance to post for this special event. You know reality kicks in when it would've been a perfect day to celebrate my 3 year post op anniversary with family, comfort food and recalling great memories, but instead I'm stuck working. haha, that's ok though, I'm loving my job! So three years ... That's insane! It doesn't even feel like it's been that long since my surgery .. Doesn't even feel like I went though my scoliosis journey! My pain doesn't hurt anymore than a person without scoliosis and I'm capable of anything anyone else can do. The only permanent sign that would remind of my journey is my rods inside of me and my faded scars on my back. But since scoliosis is apart of me, I love sharing and having my story known! Embrace these moments in life because they're part of what define you. It's crazy how on this date, three years ago, I was in the apartment close by to the IWK, completely freaking out on the inside of what was to come. I remember being so shocked and scared that the surgery was that close, that my face was emotionless. I was too scared to even cry. But the day of the surgery, I was determined and courageous for what was to come. I think my family was more scared than I even was. Moving forward into time, here I am today. I cannot stress the point enough, of how meditating on what could possibly come, is most likely an energy drainer and a waste of time. If my predictions had come true, I'd be the complete opposite as I am today. But that didn't happen, and to this date, I'm a healthy, happy teenager fully capable of accomplishing anything with the right mindset. Honestly, even though my surgery journey wasn't the best experience for a youth, I'm proud that I went through it with a courageous heart and a supportive family along my side. When I go for my post op appointments, I'm happy and a sense of accomplishment comes upon me. In learned in life that it's always best to focus on the positive and beautiful things in life. Negative thoughts only bring you down. But surrounding yourself with love and happiness, you'll gain confidence and true happiness. Everyone deserves to have a meaningful life and it's possible for anyone. Even though times may be tough, it's always possible to turn around your life course. There's so many different ways you can receive guidance and encouragement along the way, but in the end, it's up to you to decide how you want to view and live your life. I think that going through trials, such as my scoliosis and other situations, it's only made me stronger and more confident. Learning about how to life a healthy and happy life has widened my knowledge and has given me the strength and boldness to make wise decisions in life. It's incredible how just one thing can lead to many wonderful possibilities. These things are capable for everyone, but you have to follow the right course and not become sidetracked. Another thing I've come to realize since my journey and since I've grown as a person in life is, doing good for others and showing empathy is very rewarding. It's hard sometimes in a me-first world to put others ahead of you. But by taking into consideration others, it'll bring you joy. Doing good for others is rewarding for both you and them. It also teaches you empathy and humility. I remember while I was in the hospital, there was so many other kids, many very younger than me, who were going through more difficult battles than me. Their illness were permanent and something that wasn't curable. That gave me hope and courage that if those children could accomplish all that they are, I could surely go through my journey with my head held up high. By feeling empathy for others and seeing that each one of us is battling their own monsters in life, I know that I want to take up a career that supports these ones to the best I can do. Something like social work is defiantly one of my top choices. Possibly a dietitian. Until I decide, I know my career will be something along a field that helps others live healthier lives. Y last thought for this post is to never give up. Find goals and dreams you'd like to accomplish and always keep those in mind. It'll help you stay positive and keep going through difficult trials. There's many beautiful things in this world for each and everyone of us.

I adore this picture of pre-surgery. So priceless. I love my mom and couldn't be more fortunate to receive all the support my family has given me in my life. 
Photo of me - November 2014. Wow times have changed in three years! 

I'll do my best to update my blog as often as times seem fitting to. If you have any questions, please email me at; laur.m@hotmail.ca 


No comments:

Post a Comment